About the Rankings
Scott Summers and David Wood are primarily responsible for creating and maintaining this website. They undertook this project beginning in 2008, with the intent of providing recognition to institutions and to individuals who specialize in all areas of accounting research, rather than only those who focus on the most prevalent research areas or methodologies. The tremendous time and effort spent on building and maintaining the data has been rewarded by a handful of publications, several awards, and many expressions of 'Thanks'. In 2015, we were able to open the site to individual login, allowing individuals to add and classify their own articles in order to present a more complete picture of their research and interests. We hope that you will enjoy the site.
Please drop us a line if you want to chat about the site, data, philosophy behind our many choices that define the site.
Scott L. Summers (email@example.com)
Scott is the Andersen Foundation Professor at Brigham Young University having joined the faculty in 1999. Dr. Summers is active in the accounting information systems community, having served as the AAA-IS President among other roles. He focuses on accounting information systems processing and controls, with specific expertise in database and internal control. Dr. Summers received his PhD from Texas A&M University. His research has been published in many journals including: The Accounting Review, Accounting Horizons, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Information Systems, Information Science, IEEE Systems Man and Cybernetics, Communications of the ACM, Decision Support Systems, and Behavioral Research in Accounting . Scott and his wife Kelly have eight children and five grandchildren.
David A. Wood (firstname.lastname@example.org)
David is an associate professor and Glen Ardis Fellow in the Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University. David completed his Ph.D. at the Kelley School of Business, at Indiana University. He received BS and MAcc degrees at Brigham Young University and a Masters of Business at Indiana University. His research is published in many journals including, Accounting Horizons; Accounting, Organizations and Society; The Accounting Review; Advances in Taxation; Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory; Behavioral Research in Accounting; Boğaziçi Journal: Review of Social, Economic, and Administrative Studies; Business Horizons; Contemporary Accounting Research; The CPA Journal; Current Issues in Auditing; Issues in Accounting Education; Journal of Accountancy; Journal of Business Ethics; International Journal of Entrepreneurship & Innovation; Public Finance Review; and Turkish Studies. His research has won multiple best paper awards. He is married to the former Cindy Lunt, and they have four wonderful children.
he following authors also contributed to the research studies underlying this data:
Citing the Website
Cite the website as follows:
- Summers, Scott L., and David A. Wood. (Year Of Ranking). Accounting Research Ranking. Retrieved (DATE) from (WEBLINK such as http://www.byuaccounting.net/rankings/univrank/rank_university.php?sortorder=ranking6&qurank=All.)
Citing the Papers derived from this Work
In addition to citing the website, we ask that you cite the appropriate papers that explain the methodology used to create the dataset. These papers include:
- Metcalf, K Mark and Stocks, Kevin and Summers, Scott L. and Wood, David A., Citation-Based Accounting Education Research Rankings. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2534613
- Myers, Noah and Snow, Neal M. and Summers, Scott L. and Wood, David A., Accounting Institution Citation-Based Research Rankings by Topical Area and Methodology. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2534595
- Nuttall, Garrison Lee and Snow, Neal M. and Summers, Scott L. and Wood, David A., Citation-Based Benchmarks and Individual Accounting Faculty Research Rankings by Topical Area and Methodology. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2608491
- Holderness, Kip and Myers, Noah and Summers, Scott L. and Wood, David A., Accounting Education Research: Ranking Institutions and Individual Scholars (April 1, 2013). Issues in Accounting Education: February 2014, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 87-115. http://dx.doi.org/10.2308/iace-50600
- Pickerd, Jeffrey S. and Stephens, Nathaniel M. and Summers, Scott L. and Wood, David A., Individual Accounting Faculty Research Rankings by Topical Area and Methodology (2011). Issues in Accounting Education, August 2011, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 471-505. http://dx.doi.org/10.2308/iace-50002
- Stephens, Nathaniel M. and Summers, Scott L. and Williams, Braden and Wood, David A., Accounting Doctoral Program Rankings Based on Research Productivity of Program Graduates. Accounting Horizons: March 2011, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 149-181. http://dx.doi.org/10.2308/acch.2011.25.1.149
- Coyne, Joshua G. and Summers, Scott L. and Williams, Braden and Wood, David A., Accounting Program Research Rankings by Topical Area and Methodology. Issues in Accounting Education: November 2010, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 631-654. http://dx.doi.org/10.2308/iace.2010.25.4.631
The studies these rankings are based on have won the following peer-voted awards:
- 2015 Issues in Accounting Education Best Paper
- 2014 Issues in Accounting Education Best Paper
- 2012 Accounting Horizons Best Paper
- 2012 Issues in Accounting Education Best Paper
- 2011 Issues in Accounting Education Best Paper